PREPARING FOR YOUR SKINPEN® PROCEDURE
- The treated area may be pink and mildly inflamed (similar to the appearance of a mild sunburn) for 24-48 hours following your SkinPen® procedure. The treated area may begin to flake about 48 hours after treatment and this may last one to two days.
- Your esthetician will advise you to keep your skin clean of cosmetics or sunscreen for the remainder of your post-procedure.
- If you are prone to herpes simplex infections, such as cold sores, ask your esthetician or physician whether prophylaxis therapy is appropriate prior to the procedure.
- If you have been overexposed to the sun (sunburn) the day preceding your appointment, please call our office to reschedule your appointment.
- This procedure may not be performed on active breakouts of open lesions. Please consult your esthetician prior to your SkinPen® procedure to address any such issues.
- Wait at least six months post isotretinoin use before your SkinPen® procedure, as isotretinoin use may impair wound healing and increase risk of scar tissue formation.
- Allow 48 hours after spray or self-tanning lotions before your SkinPen® procedure.
- Avoid sun exposure for 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- Discontinue the use of topical products containing Retinol or Vitamin A for 24 hours prior to your SkinPen® procedure.
- If you are on autoimmune therapy, ask your physician if you should refrain from taking any medications prior to your SkinPen® treatment.
POST SKINPEN® PROCEDURE GUIDELINES
The day of the procedure:
- Avoid strenuous exercise or excessive perspiration, as excess blood flow and sweat can cause discomfort and irritation to compromised skin.
- Avoid use of any topical products not provided by your skincare professional for specific use with this procedure. This includes but is not limited to cosmetics, cleansers, sunscreens, moisturizers, etc.
- Use only the Skinfuse® topical products, RESCUE and LIFT, provided in your SkinPen® treatment kit.
- Strictly avoid sun exposure as you will not be wearing sunscreen. You may return to sunscreen use the day following the procedure. Your sunscreen MUST include the physical ingredients zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. We recommend SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50® or Colorescience Sunforgettable®. Continue to minimize sun exposure for one week following the procedure.
- Follow the specific skincare regimen provided by your physician.
- You may begin wearing makeup 24 hours after the procedure.